The Gallipoli Houses

 

 

WATER DEPOTS ON HILL 114

 

 

the first authentic hotel on the Gallipoli peninsula

This website has been prepared by

battlefield reminders and relics in gallipoli

the Gallipoli HousesHELLES-battlefield relics & exhibits

waterdepot at tekketepe - heights above w-beach

waterdepot at tekketepe - heights above w-beach - a turkish inscription

waterdepot at tekketepe - heights above w-beach - a british inscription

We pumped it up into big troughs we built there. Eventually we had to built a reservoir just above Lancashire Landing on the high ground there. It was our job to quarry all the stone out of the cliffs. Then we used to pump the water into the reservoir until it was full. The front line troops use to send their water carts down, fill them up and away they go.

Sapper Leslie Matthews quoted in “Defeat at Gallipoli”, (London 2002), Nigel Steel & Peter Hart, p 309.


back to  silent witnesses

previous

next

 

previous

 

next

 

 

 last updated : 20/08/07

Two 30,000 gallon concrete reservoirs can be found built during the summer of 1915 by the Royal Monmouth Royal Engineers, with each being capable of holding three days supply of drinking water.  An inscription can be seen which reads "5 COY MON RE AUG 1915".

"Helles Landing-Gallipoli", (Barnsley-2003), Huw & Jill Rodge, p. 114.

 

cont@ct us

SILENT WITNESSES
battlefield relics & exhibits - Helles