The Gallipoli Houses

DARDANELLES-batteries in the dardanelles

 

 

 

THE NAMAZGAH BATTERY (NR 17)

the first autherntic hotel on the Gallipoli peninsula

This website has been prepared by

battlefield reminders and relics in gallipoli

the Gallipoli Houses

previous

next

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

the namazgah battery

the namazgah battery- thenthe namazgah battery- then

previous


the namazgah battery- seen from above

the namazgah battery

Just along the coast after the Kilitbahir Castle there is a Turkish position known as the Namazgah ( Prayer Site) Battery, which remains in a good condition.
The battery, located in the most heavily fortified zone of the Dardanelles, was the headquarters of the Turkish 2nd Heavy Artillery Battalion, in the area controlled by the 4th, 7th, ,10th and 11th Batteries of the strait’s defence were sited at the Namazgah position. The battery was equipped with a total of 16 artillery pieces, two of which were long range guns and the rest short range. In addition,there were two anti aircraft guns positioned at the battery. The Namazgah Battery first came into action on March 5 during preliminary bombardments ahead of the March 18 naval assault. Modernised in 1892, the Namazgah Battery was one of the largest fixed fortifications in the Dardanelles defences.
Though struck by shellfire during the battle of March 18 and temporarily silenced. Namazgah Battery remained in action throughout the day.

“Gallipoli Battlefield Guide”, (Istanbul 2006), Gürsel Göncü & Şahin Aldoğan, p. 151

back to silent witnesses

next

"The namazgah battery in Kilitbahir", period pictures reproduction provided by Başar Enyöner - private collection.

last updated : 20/02/07

 

cont@ct us

SILENT WITNESSES
fortresses & batteries along the Dardanelles