The Gallipoli Houses

DARDANELLES-batteries in the dardanelles

 

 

 

THE HAMIDIYE BATTERY (EUROPE) (NR 16)

the first autherntic hotel on the Gallipoli peninsula

This website has been prepared by

battlefield reminders and relics in gallipoli

the Gallipoli Houses

 

 

the hamidiye (europe) battery

German and Turkish troops at a 35,5cm gun”, picture reproduced from “The Battle for The Dardanelles-1915”,  (Berlin 1927), Major Dr. Carl Mühlmann, p. 117

 

German and Turkish troops at a 35,5cm gun

It was built in the reign of Sultan Abdulhamit II in 1896 to fill the gap in the Dardanelles defensive line between the forts to the north and south.  It comprises three ammunition bunkers, built in the same style as the adjoining fortifications, and in 1915 there were two Krupp 35cm guns in the emplacements, which still exist.

Gallipoli Battlefield Guide”, (Barnsley 2000), Tonie & Valmai Holt, p. 64

 

previous

previous


next

next

 

 

 

back to silent witnesses

last updated : 20/02/07

 

cont@ct us

SILENT WITNESSES
fortresses & batteries along the Dardanelles