The Gallipoli Houses - the first "hotel de charme" on the peninsulaSUVLA - famous battlefield locations

 

CHOCOLATE & GREEN HILLS

next

 

next

previous

 last updated : 20/04/08

 

the first authentic hotel on the Gallipoli peninsula

This website has been prepared by

the Gallipoli Houses

back to silent witnesses


 

 

 

 

 

previous

 

 

"21st August: Chocolate Hill reached", period picture reproduced from "Gallipoli, 1915-Pens, Pencils and cameras at war", (London 1985), Peter H. Liddle, p. 140

 

 

 

 CHOCOLATE HILL, 7 AUGUST

The Pals arrived at Hill 10 to find it had been taken by another battalion. So the final advance on Chocolate Hill began with several hundred soldiers from other Irish regiments and a considerable number of troops from the 11th. They headed off across the salt lake bed in an easterly direction, then ran over a couple of empty water-courses and through a number of dry, ploughed fields, before crawling through hedgerows. The troops now entered a network of


 

 

 

Chocolate and Green Hills –so named because of their natural coloring- rise from the East bank of the Salt lake and were captured by the 6th Lincolns and the 6th Borders on the evening of the 7th August. Unsuccessful efforts were made to advance beyond Green Hill, culmination on 21st August in the battle of Scimitar Hill –the last great action of the campaign- but the frontline remained there until the evacuation

Transcribed from the plaque inside the gate of Green Hill Cemetery


 

 

empty but well-constructed trenches at the base of Chocolate Hill, which some men assumed had been built under German supervision.
The enemy strategically withdrew to the very top pf the hill. Now it was time for a wild and heart-stopping charge up to the summit, using both bayonet and bullet. Even those who were not in the vanguard of the assault could see that an officer was signaling the men for “the off” with a green cloth tied to a stick. Then with a deafening roar and a concerted rush, the Dublins stormed Chocolate Hill. To many of the Pals it looked and sounded like a gigantic version of a forward rush on the rugby pitchat Dublin’s Lansdowne Road.
By the time the Pals had reached the top, all the turkish defenders hadeither been bayoneted or shot or had fled into distance. Dead bodies lay in the brushwood on a hill-top that looked like a volcanic landscape in places, thick with smoke and pockmarked with craters of shells sent overearlier by British naval gunners. It was a blea and lifeless scene, but the Dublin Pals had helped the Irish Division to take its first big objective and there was an intense satisfaction for many of the men in that fact.

"
Field of Bones", (Dublin 2006), Philip Orr, p. 81

"Trench at the foot of chocolate hill", period picture reproduced from "The national army museum book of the Turkish front 1914-18", (London - 2003), Lord Carver, p. 74.

cont@ct us

SILENT WITNESSES
famous battlefield locations - Suvla