the first authentic hotel on the Gallipoli peninsula
This website has been prepared by
"Trenches on Cheshire Ridge", reproduced from a period picture (Başar Eryoner - private collection)
between the upper reaches of the Chailak Dere and the southern fork of the
Aghyl Dere. Named after the 8th Cheshires who were in the 40th Brigade of
the 13th Division. Its respective parts were known as Upper and Lower
Cheshire. Durrant’s Post was in the centre.
"The New Zealanders at Gallipoli", (Auckland 1921), Major Fred Waite, p. 319.
last updated : 20/01/08
back to silent witnesses