updated : 20/02/07
the first autherntic hotel on the Gallipoli peninsula
This website has been prepared by
back to silent witnesses
left of the path are the ruins of Camburnu Fort, built between 1807 and 1820 by
the order of Sultan Mahmut II to strengthen the defences of the Narrows. ...
... In 1915 there was a Turkish hospital in the fort. In this area in the winter of 1918/1919 the Australian 7th Light Horse and the Canterbury mounted Riffles camped in old Turkish huts until replaced by French forces.
"Gallipoli Battlefield Guide", (Barnsley 2000), Tonie & Valmai Holt, p. 60