The Gallipoli Houses







the Çanakkale Consular Cemetery

the Gallipoli housesThe Dardanelles - The Çanakkale Consular cemetery


memorials and cemeteries in gallipoli





Lieutenant Commander Theodore Stuart Brodie



Basil Wood Bourne

In 1965 Basil Wood Bourne joined a party, primarily for UK veterans, on a pilgrimage to Gallipoli. They called him the "Anzac" ...

... We crossed the Narrows to Eceabat, near the old Maidos, and went by coaches across to Anzac Cove.  It was noticed by those in his coach  that the Anzac became more and more excited as we approached.  The guide with the first coach, in which was the Anzac, arranged for the stop to be a little beyond the Cove for traffic reasons.  Friends noted that the Anzac worried over this; he would rather have stopped right at the Cove.  But is was only a short walk back to the Cove and the party left the coach at the Anzac cemetery by the roadside.  The Anzac stepped forward too but fell immediately.
Later on, when we had time to adjust ourselves to the situation, it was agreed that this was a fine way to go out.

Four years later E.H.W.B. recorded this tragic event in the first ever "The Gallipolian" Christmas - 1969







The British submarine "E15" stranded near Dardanos, reproduced from a period postcard (Louis Neefs - private collection)




This website has been prepared by

the first authentic hotel on the Gallipoli peninsula

last updated : 28/12/07


cont@ct us






the cemetery also contains a number of pre and post ww I graves

On this day (*), the British submarine E 15, commanded by Captain TS Brodie, tried to run the Straits to get into the Sea of Marmara.  The submarine first hit one of the Turkish nets, and then was caught in a strong eddy of Kephez point, and ran aground on a sandback.  As luck would have it, this was just by the Turkish Dardanos battery, which lost no time in shelling the submarine.  One shell hit the conning tower and cut the unfortunate Brodie in half, plus six other crew were killed during the shelling, and the submarine filled with thick smoke.  The rest of the crew surrendered, and were taken into captivity.

Gallipoli 1915", (Stroud 2002), Tim Travers, p. 39

(*) 17th April 1915

back to if stones could speak